Location: MataMata, Waikato Region, North Island, New Zealand
- Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
- Price: $79.00 (nzd)
- Duration: 3 hours approximately
- Fully guided tour around Hobbiton’s 12 acre movie set- including Hobbit Holes and the Mill
- Complimentary drink at the world-famous Green Dragon Inn
- Pre booking your tour is essential at peak times of the year
- Tours from the Shire’s Rest or from MataMata I-Site
- Tours depart every 30 minutes
- Step into a world that we all know and love, into the heart of the Shire where The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies were created in New Zealand
- Purchase something special to remember your trip to Hobbiton Movie Set Tour at the gift shop
Remember: Bring a camera, Go-pro or video camera (own preference) plenty of water, comfortable walking shoes, money for merchandise, a hat if you visit on a hot day, your knowledge and passion for LOTR and The Hobbit trilogies. Be excited and be a nerd!
I absolutely loved visiting MataMata for the Hobbiton movie set tour. I visited back in August 2015 and again in October 2016 and both visits were incredible. In just over a year the movie set had progressed and improved, however my second visit was a lot busier than the first.
You walk round the movie set (the shire) in a tour group, following one helpful tour guide. The first time I visited, there were eight of us in a group; my second there was a round 60 of us in a group, quite a difference. Considering how big the group was the second time, the tour guide was still brilliant. He managed to speak to all of us without having to shout, he took his time to explain details about the film, and facts about film sets and answer all questions, he didn’t rush any of the group when it came to taking photographs and he was patient with the whole group. A perfect and informative tour guide!
I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of these films, the books and middle earth to make time for the Hobbiton movie set tour. You will not regret it! It’s totally worth the money, and so nostalgic. Try not to spend all of your money in the gift shop and enjoy taking photos to create memories for your photo album!
Fully immerse yourself in the wonderful and adventurous Shire, enjoy! Thank you, bye for now.
P.S- all photos are my own.
Here is the video that my boyfriend Dave created from our Hobbiton Movie Set Tour in October.